Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ten Books that Should be Video Games

Well, this post is prompted by the rather exciting news that one of my favorite books, Ender's Game, is being made into a video game. The movie will also be forthcoming, but I think we can all agree that games > movies. Ender's Game would almost certainly be on this list were it already not forthcoming. The list is after the jump...

The List

10. The Belgariad Series (David Eddings): I read this five novel series some time ago. It took me a little while to get into the swing of things as it's a slightly older novel, but the story arc is certainly compelling enough to create a solid game. I can see this making an interesting RPG, though it may not lend itself to the type of diversity of experience one might wish for.

9. The Princess Bride (William Goldman): I think everyone has seen this movie, and the book is even better. This game would make an excellent RPG if the right writers were placed on the job. I picture the graphics as something akin to Valve's Team Fortress II. Truly funny video games are a real rarity, and I'd be intrigued by an attempted Princess Bride game.

8. Lord of the Flies (William Golding): I'm not sure if the world is ready for a game that follows the exact plot of this novel, but it is an incredible story, and the possibilities here are compelling. If the fine folks over at 2k Games were to turn the same talent they showcased in Bioshock, I think a game based upon Lord of the Flies could be amazing.

7. Time Machine (H.G. Wells): I'm surprised more classics aren't made into video games, particularly since the licensing rights on some of the older ones would be cheaply acquired if they haven't already passed into the public domain. Time Machine is a game that could really give the right game studio a chance to show the depth of its abilities. The game would morph from time period to time period, and I believe this is one of the few books where the mere plot mechanism, a time machine, would be sufficient to build an entire game around without remaining true to the exact rigors of the plot.

6. Dune (Frank Herbert): It's been a long time since we've seen the last Dune game, and I think the gaming technology has finally progressed to the point where we could do this amazing series justice. I picture riding around on Sandworms and conquering strange worlds in pursuit of a spice monopoly. This series could make an excellent RPG (I think the makers of Mass Effect, Bioware, would be an excellent choice) or a real time strategy. Either way, it's time for a good Dune game.

5. A Song of Fire and Ice Series (George R. R. Martin): Possibly the best fantasy series out there. It's gritty, it's edgy, and it's completely mindblowing. The series has so many twists and turns that any game that managed to live up to the subject matter would be an instant classic. The amount of death this series entails might make it hard to make a linear RPG, but I'd settle for a game akin to something like Civilization or Masters of Orion. The chaotic nature of the books is born from a very complex system of politics and geographic pressures that I feel would translate well into diplomacy/nation building frameworks employed by the games mentioned above.

4. Dragonlance Chronicles Series (Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman): This was the series that got me hooked on fantasy. I'm surprised I haven't seen a recent game attempt at this subject matter. I believe the last one was on the frickin' Commodore 64. This game would make an incredible MMORPG if done right. The subject matter is rich, diverse, and deep. While the Chronicles Series was only three books, there are over 50 Dragonlance books to draw material from. This game really needs to happen.

3. Frankenstein (Mary Shelley): Another classic book that really needs a new game. I really want 2k Games to take on this one. I still haven't decide whether this would make a better RPG (from the eyes of the monster or Dr.) or FPS (from the eyes of a person hunting the monster down.) Either way, the potential for a creepy thriller is definitely there.

2. Sword of Truth Series (Terry Goodkind): Terry Goodkind has just finished his epic fantasy series. Some of the books were incredible, others I found passable at best, but this man can create characters like no one's business. I don't think I've ever managed to empathize with characters' plights quite like I have done with Terry's. I would love to see a dramatic RPG tackle this subject matter. The idea of weilding the Sword of Truth for myself is too great to pass up.

1. Inferno (Dante Alighieri): One of the ultimate classics. A descent in the circles of hell. How is this not a game already? I have no idea what the objective would be, but I don't really care. I'm not sure who the best company is for the job, but I will tell you this: the game could be amazing. It might be my own particular interest in the subject matter, but the mental images I get make me believe this would be a tremendous FPS. All of the souls on the 3rd circle of hell are belong to me =fires rocket launcher=.

No comments: