Wednesday, January 16, 2008

WAR, what is it good for? More than you know.

Unless you have been living under a two ton rock, you know that the creators of Dark Age of Camelot (Still one of the only major MMORPG's that had 3 different warring factions) are coming out with another MMORPG this year. This one based in the well known universe of Warhammer. If you don't know about Warhammer, go look at your local hobby store. It is mostly known for its pen and paper table top games. Yes I did dabble in this a bit before I realized it was a lot of work that a computer could do for me.

So what makes this upcoming MMORPG so important? Insiders say WAR is the next "WOW killer," the one that might actually get the job done. So what kind of weaponry is this beast packing?


Let me throw out a number. 557,116. This is the number of applicants so far for the closed beta of Warhammer. This number alone probably makes the marketing team cackle gleefully.

Now the classes of WAR are nothing special. With six different "armies", Dwarfs, the Empire (humans), and high elves rounding out the order side while Greenskins (Orcs/goblins), the Chaos (really evil humans ), and the dark elves on the side of destruction. So nothing really special there, elves, dwarfs, orcs, and humans. But wait! Greenskins aren't just orcs, they have goblins.

Now as someone who enjoyed being a gnome in WOW just because I know nothing is more humiliating than being killed by someone 2 feet tall. My gnome warrior in WOW would tank things probably 10 times bigger than he was. Nobody respected them, and I tried to fix that. This is something I foresee happening in WAR. Goblins have never had the spotlight in almost all fantasy lore. Known as a lesser race, they are mostly used as labor by Orcs and other evil races. My first character for this game will be a goblin, this much is certain.

Will this game be the next WOW killer? No clue, I haven't played it yet. No matter how good races, classes, or anything look on paper, until I sit down and play it for a couple hours, the jury is out.

Technorati Tags: , , , , .

No comments: