Monday, January 28, 2008

Upcoming Genre Bending Game


As some of you are aware, I'm intrigued by combining game genres to produce interesting new combinations of games. In a prior post, I postulated the intriguing combination of a real time strategy game combined with a role playing game. I've been tinkering with this idea for some time, and it appears that the programmers over at Gas Powered Games had a similar vision. The new genre bender? Demigod. More after the jump...

Now, details are sketchy, but it appears that Demigod seeks to combine two separate styles of play, one that will play similar to an RPG (the Assassin) and one that will play similar to a RTS (the General). Count me among those that are incredible excited about this development. This really is the future of games, constantly redefining the once static genres and pushing forward with new ideas that change our conceptions.

I am very interested to see how they balance the various issue that will arise from this combination. Will they elect to have two separate games as I suggested? Thereby allowing for a full experience of both RPG and RTS that just happen to intersect? Or will they integrate the two, shortchanging one genre for the other. Unless they have truly separated the two genres (only to be combined in the manner I suggested) I don't see any way of avoiding the conflict between the two playstyles unless they have decided to make one genre dominant over the other. Since longterm RTS battles are unlikely to occur under an RPG paradigm, my suspicion is the game revolves around an RTS framework with an RPG mini-game within. While this isn't my favorite option, it's an excllent first step in the right direction by Gas Powered Games. Kudos to them.


Technorati Tags: , , , , .

No comments: