Saturday, January 5, 2008

Tinkering with Call of Duty 4 Matchmaking

By far my favorite Xbox game to play with friends right now is Call of Duty 4 by Activision. As far as I am concerned, it is one of the most realistic and engaging first person shooters to date. With that as a starting point, let me tell you about a few games I played last week.

After battling with some of the Xbox Live issues, I managed to secure a game. The teams were organized and I couldn't help but notice that they appeared slightly lopsided. My team included numerous people of lower ranks making their way through the game the first time. On the opposing side we were facing players that were all on their 5th time through or later. The game starts, and the slaughtering begins. The leet team crushed us, and began a spawn camp campaign that still wakes me up screaming at night. I mustered my CONSIDERABLE skills and got the highest score on my team with 9 kills and 58 deaths.

The game ends, and I decide to continue playing since the matchmaking would surely reorganize the teams--not so. We were playing against 5 friends in a team deathmatch, so they were always placed on the same team. This brings me to my point: there needs to be a separate matchmaking tree for clans. When there are only 5 players per team in team deathmatch, even 3 players working together can utterly dominate the general chaos inhabiting random teams. Few things are more frustrating than being unable to move due to waves of airstrikes and helicopters mowing you down constantly.

Technorati Tags: , , , .

No comments: