Sunday, January 6, 2008

Video games: Now with more taxation!

I'll be honest, I'm scratching my head on this one. According to this story, a new law has been proposed in the state of Wisconsin. At first glance, it seems pretty harmless: raise the age of adulthood from 17 to 18. Great! Give teenagers another year of indiscretion, I'm on board--we all make mistakes.

Now things get interesting. Raising the age of adulthood will result in increased juvenile court fees. How to pay for them? It seems to me the logical decision would be to decrease adult court budgets and shift the money to juvenile courts to offset the costs. Of course, solutions that involve cutting spending often cause blackouts and terror in capitol houses, so they have arrived at a much more reasonable solution: raise taxes!

But what to tax?

Well, the video game industry did well this year. And I remember reading somewhere that video games are the root of all evil, so let's just tax them! Long story short? 1% tax on games. Sure it won't kill the industry, but why is heck is it getting taxed in the first place?

No comments: